Some people find it very easy to fall asleep, only to put their head on the pillow and they sleep. The rest are suffering are over, count sheep, minutes, and waiting to fall asleep. Good and comfortable sleep is an essential factor in your health. Proper sleep helps you with the proper functioning of the body, while a poor sleeping pattern will negatively impact your body. It can lead to irritability, lack of concentration, learning problems, and much more.
Some people usually go to bed on time, but they find it hard to sleep instantly, which decreases their time to sleep hence leading to the same health issues.
Ways to Sleep Faster:
The lack of good quality sleep is reflected in almost every aspect of our lives, from health, mood to work performance.
Here are some tips on how to fall asleep faster:
1. Prepare the body
- Every day you go to bed at roughly the same time. When you go to bed, bend toes for 7 seconds and then relax. Do this with every muscle group of your fingers to your neck.
2. Maintain a low temperature in the room:
- Sleep better when the room temperature is lower as your body temperature decreases when you sleep. Try to wear light pajamas, and they were from natural materials as well as bedding. Before going to bed, take a shower with hot water, then cool yourself in the room. The warmer room will give you a tough time to sleep, so instead, keep your room a bit cooler, like between 60 to 67 degrees F, and you will sleep faster.
3. Relax before Bed:
- Before going to bed, do a mental exercise. Imagine a calm scene as a day spent on the beach, picnic in nature. This routine will help to calm the brain. Turn off the TV, mobile phone, and other electronic devices. You usually find it hard to sleep quickly when you are under stress. Yoga and meditation can also relax your body and mind giving you a sound sleep.
4. The food factor before you sleep:
- For dinner, you should eat light food. Fatty food can cause indigestion and cannot sleep. But do not go to bed hungry; it also keeps you awake. If your dinner is high in carbs, take it at least 4 hours before sleeping so that the food is already digested before you hop on your bed.
5. Watch your posture
- The posture in which you sleep is essential. Find the posture in which you are comfortable and allows you a good sleep.
- The neck should well support the pillow. Usually, side postures improve, but you choose what suits you. Go to bed every night in the same pose for the body to get used to sleeping in the same way.
- It is said that orthopedic pillows are better for a good sleep than the memory foam pillow. It is also advices that heavy blankets help with reduced body stress.
6. Essential oils aromatherapy:
- Some people showed a positive effect on sleeping after using this aromatherapy. Scents like lavender or peppermint help make you relax and sleep faster. You can use them in a humidifier or lit some aromatic candles. Both of them are equally helpful.
7. Limit your caffeine intake:
- Caffeine helps make you alert and enthusiastic during the day time, but the same ingredient is affecting your night’s sleep. Avoid drinking or eating anything caffeine in it, like chocolates, coffee, or tea, at least 6 to 7 hours before sleeping.
- Whereas chamomile tea helps you with having a better sleep.
8. Read a book:
- Reading from a physical book will help you to have a good mind relaxing activity before you sleep. Making it a habit will keep you away from thinking about stressful things; instead, you will feel relax.
- However, reading from e-book will further worsen the situation.
9. Write what you feel:
- Many people find it hard to sleep because of the countless thoughts running in their minds. Writing down your thoughts, especially the positive things that happened during the day can help you feel calm and relaxed, helping you with good and fast sleep.
10. 4-7-8 Method:
It is a method linked with your breathing pattern. It will make your breathing pattern calm hance make you calm and relax. Let’s see how to do it:
- Put your tongue’s tip behind your upper lip and exhale completely with your mouth.
- 4 – Close your mouth and inhale in the air via the nose, and count till four.
- 7 – hold your breath in and count till 7
- 8 – Now again, exhale with your mouth with a count of 8; a whooshing sound will be heard.
Try this trick before laying down and repeat four times. It will help you with your sleep when you lay down to sleep.
Supplements to Sleep:
Switching to supplements should be your last option, but there are a few supplements that can help you sleep better and faster. These supplements include:
Magnesium will help in improving sleep by increasing sleep-inducing neurotransmitters. It would help if you took this supplement with your food.
Our body produces melatonin, but you can take it from outside to get a good sleep and regulate your sleep cycle. Melatonin is taken 2 hours before you want to start your sleep cycle and in 0.5 to 5 mg of dose.
5 hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that helps in serotonin production. Serotonin further helps with sleep regulation. It can help you with insomnia.
You may also like :Treating Subclinical acne
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Why can’t I sleep at night?
Unable to sleep at night is termed as insomnia. It is usually due to stress, some medical conditions, or might be because of some medications which you are taking. Excessive caffeine intake or mood disorders can also lead to insomnia. You need to find out what is affecting your sleep cycle and try our tips and tricks to sleep earlier.
Q. Which fruit can help you with sleep?
Bananas are a rich source of magnesium and potassium. It has tryptophan in it, which helps to stimulate your mood and make you and your body calm. It is an excellent option to eat before you sleep.
Q. Does milk helps in sleeping?
Yes, milk has tryptophan and melatonin; both help regulate sleeping patterns and make your body calm, helping you with your stress. Drinking a glass of milk will help you to maintain your sleep cycle of 8 hours.
If you are facing a problem with your sleep, try the above-given tips and tricks so that you can have a good sound sleep on time, which will lead to a healthier day ahead. There are also medications and supplements which are good to induce sleep and maintaining the cycle.
We hope that our tips will help you with a good night’s sleep tonight!