With the increasing concerns, gut health is becoming one of the major concern of the people. They want to live a healthy life, and for that, they need a healthy gut. People these days are making an effort to maintain their diet and eat healthy so that they can stay healthy.
There is a different kind of diets these days, including AIP and Paleo, which are focusing especially on your gut health and linked with reducing inflammation of the gut.
What do you mean by AIP Diet?
AIP stands for the autoimmune protocol; it is a diet specifically meant to maintain the immune system, repair and heal your gut and decrease the effects which come from autoimmune diseases.
What does autoimmunity mean?
In autoimmunity, our immune system takes our own body cells as foreign bodies and will make antibodies against them to attack. It will lead to inflammation and presents as joint pain, abdominal pain, diarrhea, tissue damage and a lot of other features depending upon the system involved.
Link of Autoimmunity and AIP Diet:
Some foods in our diet, damage the gut wall and lead to an increase in the intestine’s permeability. This situation is known as leaky gut, which then leads to trigger the phenomenon of autoimmunity.
AIP diet especially focuses on removing these toxic food items from the diet and instead of them provide you with healthy food rich in nutrient. This diet will help in reducing inflammation and will mild the symptoms of autoimmunity.
How does the AIP Diet Will work?
There are two phases in the AIP diet. One is called the elimination phase, and the other is known as the reintroduction phase, let’s know more about them.
1. Elimination Phase:
This is actually a cleansing phase. Some experts recommend a time period of 30 days while some say that do it for 90 days.
In this phase, you have to stop taking all the food items, possibly causing inflammation and affecting your gut.
These food items which you should not eat in the elimination phase include:
And any other food item which you think is not suitable for your gut and leads to inflammation.
Now that you will stop eating the food items which are irritants for your gut, you will start noticing the difference and decreased intensity of the symptoms.
You will start to feel better, not only physically but also mentally, and your sleep will also improve.
TIP: here the tip is to keep a journal in which you can record about what you ate and how did you feel that day.
2. Reintroduction Phase:
After the elimination phase, in the reintroduction phase, you will reintroduce the food items that you stopped eating a month before. Let’s see how:
- Take your full time to finish the elimination process.
- Now pick a single food to reintroduce to your gut.
- Find a suitable da for it.
- Eat a bit of that food item and wait for 20 to 30 minutes.
- If you feel fine after 30 minutes, eat some more of that same food item and wait for some hours now.
- If nothing goes bad and you are still feeling fine, now you can eat a normal meal portion of that food item.
- Now don’t eat that food for the next 5 days.
- Keep a check on your health these days, and if you feel normal as you were feeling before the intake of that food, it will be counted as safe for you.
- On the other hand, if you feel irritant or pain, then add that food item in the irritant food items and avoid eating it later in your life.
- Repeat this process for all the food items which you stopped eating in the elimination phase.
- Make your list of irritants. And give your gut health a new start.
Food items which are allowed in the AIP diet:
The food items which you can eat in the AIP diet are:
- Baking items
- Fermented food
Food Items which you should avoid during AIP:
Food items which might irritate your gut are:
- Some spices
- Processed foods
Breakfast options in AIP Diet:
For breakfast in AIP diet you can have the following meals:
- Breakfast sausage chicken poppers
- Cauliflower and oatmeal
- Mexican breakfast skillet
- Fruit salad
- Sweet potato
Lunch Options in AIP Diet:
For lunch, you can enjoy:
- Oven-baked salmon
- Turkey breast and avocado
- Turmeric chicken curry
- Hamburger steak.
- Ground beef stir fry.
Dinner Options in AIP Diet:
- Chicken thighs and asparagus
- Mushroom burger
- Roasted broccoli and squash
- Avocado tuna salad
- Beef patties
Snacks in AIP Diet:
The snacks option in AIP diet are the following food items:
- Tuna can
- Beef jerky stick
- Fresh fruits
- Sweet potato fries.
Does the AIP diet really work?
Researches on AIP Diet is still ongoing, but what we have concluded up till now are the following points:
1. Reduce inflammation:
The studies conducted showed that the patients with IBD and following AIP noticed that their inflammatory symptoms reduced to a greater extent. So this diet is effective in reducing the inflammation and increasing the quality of life.
2. Heals leaky gut:
Leaky gut is linked with autoimmune disorders. People susceptible to autoimmune disease have a permeable gut which allows all the foreign particles to enter into the bloodstream. This usually occurs when the gut is irritated due to certain food items.
AIP diet helps with this symptom and heals the leaky gut.
With every beneficial thing comes a bit of drawback too. The drawbacks of the AIP diet are:
- The elimination phase is actually really hard to follow.
- You need to be really careful while eating in a social gathering or at a restaurant.
- Longer elimination phase might lead to nutritional deficiencies.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can we eat a banana in AIP diet?
Yes, bananas are approved to eat in AIP diet. Other fruits option which you can eat include apples, apricots, avocado etc.
Q. Why we can’t drink coffee in AIP?
Coffee comes from the coffee beans, which are seeds. All kinds of seeds are not allowed in the elimination phase, and so is coffee.
Q. Which milk can we consume in AIP?
All dairy and dairy products are not allowed, but you can intake coconut milk while on AIP.
AIP Diet is specifically for people with autoimmune diseases to reduce the inflammation and other associated symptoms. It is comprised of two phases, and both of them are equally important. It will improve your gut health, reduce the inflammation and heals the leaky gut.