When we talk about drinks options in the keto diet, chocolate milk comes in one of my favorites lists. We grew up with milk included in our daily routine diet. We all hated it at the start, but as we grew up, believe it or not, it became a part of our day. The chocolate powder was always the best addition to the milk, which made that glass bearable to drink, and the taste becomes way better.
Now when I am on the keto diet, I still want to drink milk on some days. This low-carb chocolate milk recipe helps me to fulfil this craving. With no sugar and carbs, this chocolate milk makes a perfect fit to drink while on keto.
Let’s Make Low Carb Chocolate Milk
For making the milk, you just need the ingredients and follow two simple steps to drink this yummy drink.
To make this low carb chocolate milk, you would be needing:
- Milk – dairy is not preferred in keto, but you can use unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk. Choose one which you like better.
- Cocoa Powder – use unsweetened cocoa powder. Sift it before using it so that it doesn’t form clumps in the milk.
- Keto Powdered sugar – as you can’t use normal sugar, use keto-friendly sugar to add to taste. Powder one mixes much easily than the granulated sugar.
- Milk – 4 cups
- Cocoa powder – 6 tablespoons
- Powdered sugar – ¼ cup
All you need are these three ingredients. Now let’s see how to make it.
Follow the steps to make the milk
- Add your selected milk to a blender with cocoa powder and blend it.
- Now add sugar and blend until all of it is mixed.
That’s it; your milk is ready. Pour it in a glass with ice and enjoy.
You can also cover it and put it in the fridge to drink water.
The nutrition that this milk glass will give you is as follows:
- Calories – 49kcal
- Carbohydrates – 6 grams
- Proteins – 3 grams
- Fats – 4 grams
- Sodium – 327 mg
- Potassium – 123 mg
- Fiber – 4 grams
- Calcium – 310 mg
- Iron – 1mg
Store or Freeze the Drink:
Storing chocolate milk:
You can make the chocolate milk and store it in the fridge. Keep it in a glass jar with a lid or in a bottle. You can store it for 2 days in the refrigerator.
Freezing the chocolate milk:
You can freeze the milk in a shallow container for up to 6 months. Once it’s freeze, you need to thaw it before using it.
Tips to get the best taste:
For the best taste of chocolate milk, take care of the following things:
- Use cocoa powder according to your taste. It depends on how chocolaty you would like your drink to be.
- You can make it chocolate protein milk by adding a scoop of your chocolate-flavored protein powder.
Reasons why I love low carb chocolate milk:
Apart from the fact that this milk tastes amazing and it is keto-friendly, I love it because:
- It is easy to make with no effort.
- No preservatives are added.
- Suitable for my diet
- Ingredients are easily available.
Bring some variations:
You can bring some useful and creative variations to your chocolate milk, like:
- Use strawberry powder instead of cocoa powder to sip on strawberry milk.
- Add cinnamon or nutmeg to give a change taste.
- Use protein powder to turn the milk into a protein shake.
- Use this milk to freeze in an ice tray. You can use these keto-friendly chocolate ice cubes later in milk or coffee.
- You can use xanthan gum to give a thick texture to your milk which tastes like the heavy shakes, which are high in carbs.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Which milk is suitable to use in keto?
Almond milk is mostly preferred in the keto diet, as it is believed to have the lowest carb value that is only 1 carb per cup. The other option is coconut milk.
Q. Can we eat chocolate on keto?
Chocolates are usually carbs, so it is usually not allowed. However, you can have dark chocolates in your keto diet. Chocolates which have 70% of cocoa or more are allowed in moderate amount. Although 28 grams of 100% cocoa also contains 3 grams of net carbs. So it is not totally carb-free, but you can adjust your daily carb intake if you eat a bit of dark chocolate.
Q. Can we drink milk chocolate from the store while on keto?
The milk chocolate you get from the store usually have preservatives, and it is high in sugar level. It will destroy your keto diet, so it is recommended to make it at home with correct proportions.
Low carb chocolate milk is easy to made drink while on keto. It is low in carbs and makes a perfect snack option. Use the correct amount of cocoa powder and sugar to get the best taste. Almond milk or coconut milk are the suggested options for the milk. You can choose one according to your taste.
Drink it right away or store it for later use.