Yogurt is a favorite food item for many people. Some use it for breakfast while others use it as a snack or for smoothies. The yogurt you’ll buy from the grocery store is not really good for you when you are on a diet especially during keto. These are high in carbs value which can ruin your diet.
So what to do to when the recipe requires yogurt and you are on a keto diet. Don’t worry, we have got you covered. We are here with a recipe of making your own yogurt which is creamy and keto both. Forget about the grocery yogurt, make your own and continue with your keto diet.
Yogurt and Keto:
When you are finding the things which are keto friendly, yogurt comes in the list too and the question arises that whether or not it is keto friendly? Actually the answer is ‘No’. The yogurt you buy from the store is usually not keto friendly as it has sugar and dairy in it which will add up the carbs and ruin your keto.
Even the yogurt which is marked as keto friendly is not that keto friendly as it says. The artificial ingredients added in that yogurt is not a really good choice to have. So the best option again cut down to make your own yogurt which contains the minimum amount of net carb.
So without any more delay let’s jump on to the recipe:
Low Carb Yogurt Recipe:
This keto friendly yogurt contains only 2g of carbs as net value. It is creamy and easy to make recipe.
The ingredients you are going to need for this are:
- Almonds – ¼ cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Heavy cream – 2 cups
- Gelatin powder – ½ tbs
- Probiotic capsules – 2
- Liquid sunflower lecithin (optional) – ¼ tsp
Follow the steps given below to make the best low carb yogurt:
- Take two 16 oz jars and sterile them in the dishwasher using hot and soapy water.
- Dry them and set them aside for later use.
- Make almond milk using water and almonds. The almond milk from the store will have preservative so it is better to avoid it. Blend all the almonds with water to make almond milk.
- Now take your saucepan and put it on medium to low heat. Add your almond milk and cream in it. Heat it for 5 to 7 minutes with occasional stirring in between until the bubbles occur on the sides of the pan. Do not let it to boil or simmer.
- Take your gelatin now and sprinkle it over the saucepan and mix it together until it is dissolved.
- Now remove the saucepan from flame and sprinkle sunflower lecithin on it and mix it.
- Now pour this mixture in the jars you set aside before.
- Let the jars stay at room temperature for 20 minutes. Make sure the temperature still remains above 100 degrees F.
- Now cut the probiotic capsule and put one in each jar and stir.
- Cover the jars with lids.
- Now you need to intubate this yogurt. You can use oven light and place the jar in with a closed door and the lights on. Keep it for 12 to 24 hours. Or you can use blankets to wrap the jars and keep them warm.
- When it is ready, put it in the fridge to cold it up. Stir it up and then you can enjoy it with some toppings when it is cold.
Toppings for the yogurt
The toppings that you can use for your yogurt are:
- Coconut chips
- Sugar-free jam
These nutritional values don’t include the toppings and the serving size is of half cup:
- Calories – 236
- Carbs – 2.6 grams
- Fats – 24.1 grams
- Proteins – 3.1 grams
- Fiber – 0.6 grams
- Sugar – 1.9 grams
Storing Your Yogurt:
After making your yogurt, you can store it in the jars in your fridge for 3 to 5 days. Freezing yogurt is generally not recommended. Freezing it will alter its texture and it will not remain creamy anymore.
If you are fond of flavored yogurts, you can make them too.
To add the fruity flavor use any of the keto fruit. Let your fruit simmer with a keto sweetener. When the fruit releases its juice blend it with the yogurt.
You can also add the fruit puree in your yogurt.
You can also add cocoa powder and still to give the chocolate taste to your yogurt.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Why my yogurt ends up watery?
Your yogurt might be watery because of any of two reasons:
- It is separated, for this, you can pour off the liquid and blend it.
- You didn’t give it the proper time to ferment. If it is still thin when you take it out, you should leave it to ferment for a little longer.
- Not heating the milk properly can also lead to thin yogurt. Keep a food thermometer for this purpose. Make sure the milk reach to 180 degrees F.
Q. Why does the yogurt smell bad?
If it smells bad, it is spoiled. This might be because you left it out for longer to sit at room temperature. You need to discard it and make a new one again.
Q. Can I Buy yogurt from the store while on keto?
It is usually not preferred as the yogurt in the store is high in sugar content and contains preservatives. However, if you still want to buy it from the store you can have two options:
- Use plain yogurt either full-fat Greek one or the regular one.
- For flavored yogurt, look out carefully for the nutritional value. Look for the carb count. If it suits your diet and is labeled as keto, then you can buy it.
When you are on keto, you can easily make your own yogurt at home with easy ingredients and recipe. Yogurt from the store generally contains sweeteners and preservatives which are not suitable in the keto diet. Taking care of the tips and tricks and following the recipe properly will help you to have thick and creamy low-carb yogurt preferable for your keto diet.